Thursday, September 14, 2006

Now here's another quick thought about Nasrallah.

It could be just me, but the conviction of this man is unlike anything I've ever seen in anyone else. He is the ultimate glass wall. No matter how hard you try, no matter how convinced of your beliefs you think you are, this man manages to tie up all his statements in such a manner that makes his worst enemies mistake them for being coherent.

I mean, his military actions are "never" at fault, his threats are always "morally" and "theologically" justified. And certainly, if you are amongst his followers, then the basic premises add up to valid arguments. Simple and convenient indeed.

But that's just his media persona. I wonder who scares Hassan (and I don't think he's scared of Israel, his hiding in the bunker is just realistic).

To be honest, I don't think Hassan Nasrallah is scared by any Western power, leader, or entity. Because the one thing I do think he truly believes in, is that God is on his side. But Nasrallah is no independent operator in the world of terrorist intrigue and mischief. I think that Nasrallah is scared of the powers that be on the same side of God as he is on. Shiites.

The one stage in Hassan Nasrallah's career where he was under authority (before his meteroic rise to power within Hezbollah) was his college years in Iraq, and later in Iran. As a devout Muslim and a (presumably) good student, Nasrallah must have been taught and indoctrinated to rever the religous sages, Sheikhs and Qadis, above any other authority. Undoubtedly, he does not see himself as the supreme religious authority for Shiites, not in Lebanon and certainly not in the region or the world. He even needs a religious leader for his own movement, Mohammed Houssein Fadallah.

So now the answer becomes obvious. The man is scared of Tehran.

The two Alpha-Male posts that I put up might lead you to think that I view this world as a cluster of male rivalries over domination in old-fashioned savanah style. It's true to a very limited extent. However, one cannot turn one's back on the male domination-oriented tradition in the Middle East.

Back to Nasrallah, we have here two contradicting facets of the same man: The "glass wall" rhetorician and media persona, and the robe-clad militia leader who reports to higher, stronger authority elsewhere.

On the face of it, he manages to juggle the two quite successfully. Under the surface, truth can no longer be found in our world on the face of things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home