Monday, September 18, 2006

With the tense relations between the West and the Muslim world, I think that expressions of moderation are a refreshing and welcomed change.

So today I just read of such conference held by Muslim Australian clerics, who in their meeting denounced violence and militancy. One of the significant steps announced at the conference was the wider use of English in sermons, and the opening of mosques to the non-Muslim public to allow them to become acquainted with the faith.

Having lived in Australia, some of the time in suburbs with significant Muslim presence, I have to say that this announcement simply reflects the atmosphere on the street. Faith is left for the heart and soul, not joined with the sword and spear.

True, I left Melbourne five years ago, right after 9/11, and there have been growing concerns about terror attacks on Australian soil. But I still believe that Australia represents a positive example to a peaceful and tolerant integration of a Muslim community in a Western country.

I just hope that this is only the first among many other denouncements of violence by religious Muslim leaders on all levels, from national leaders to the last of the qadis or sheikhs. In our world escalation is dictated by the actions of the violent radicals and not by the silence of the moderate majority. Violence should be outspoken many more times than it is spoken out, because we have seen all too many times that words, can kill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home